Each week I make “a-pot-of-something” to keep in the fridge so we can reach in and get immediate gratification from whatever the “something” is that week. I love to cook (it actually de-stresses me), so most nights during the week when I’m home I do make something fresh. But, sometimes, like most people, life gets in the way, and I’m so happy to have a healthy go-to, ready to eat meal in the fridge. Stew can be a delicious and satisfying lifesaver on these nights. This chicken stew is excellent. It’s made with chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, a hearty tomato sauce, and — the best part — crispy Brussels sprouts.
When you make this chicken stew, feel free to wing it and add in whatever vegetables you have in your refrigerator. I think cauliflower would be a nice addition, hmmm, and kale, or maybe spinach… the more I think about this dish the more I want to change it each time so it can easily become lots of new dishes. Any time I can make a dish that simmers for awhile with some liquid, I am a happy camper because I can add my beloved healing Chinese herbs to it so it becomes a pot of healing wellness in my fridge. (In this dish I added Shan Yao and Huang Qi for energy.
Chicken is something I push people to buy organic if possible. Organic chicken is a great, healthy protein to give you energy, lessen the pain of some types of arthritis, and boost your system when you are particularly weak — like after surgery or childbirth. People who have some conditions that we consider “excess heat” conditions should limit the amount of chicken they eat. So, if you have an illness that gives you a bright red tongue or severe dryness in your body, check with your doctor first.
Brussels sprouts are from the same cruciferous vegetable family as cabbage, broccoli and kale. They are rich in protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They are touted for their aid in weight loss because they have so much fiber and so few calories. Research has shown that these sprouts contain colon-cancer fighting substances and vitamins to protect against Alzheimer’s. Traditionally, they are known as more of a winter vegetable, but many markets now carry them year-round, which makes me happy because I like to eat them year-round!
Sweet potatoes are good for your digestive system. They can be good for both constipation and diarrhea. These orange gems also help rid your body of excess water, are good for breast health, help people with diabetes and actually can help ease night blindness. In olden times, it was common in China to rub mashed sweet potatoes on poison insect bites to remove the toxins. I haven’t tried this out, but if need be, I will…
Roast the sweet potatoes, white potatoes, onions, bell pepper, and garlic in the oven…
Combine these roasted vegetables, chicken, tomatoes, broth, lemon juice, herbs, and spices in a baking dish and place in the oven until it smells delicious and the chicken is cooked through…
Place the Brussels sprouts on a baking tray, add a little oil and salt, and roast these in the oven until they are crispy…
Ladle the hot stew into bowls and top with the roasted Brussels sprouts. Enjoy!
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large white potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-1/3 lb boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes (I like these fire-roasted, organic tomatoes)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp dried hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine sweet potatoes, white potatoes, onions, and 1-Tbs oil on a baking sheet. Season with salt.
- Place tray in oven and roast for about 20 minutes, then add the garlic and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Combine these roasted vegetable in a baking dish with the chicken, tomatoes, broth, red pepper flakes, oregano, and lemon. Bake in the oven about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cut off the bottoms of the Brussels sprouts, halve the large ones, and combine all sprouts on a baking tray with 1-Tbs oil and a generous amount of salt. Roast these in the oven until they are nice and crisp, about 25 minutes.
- Ladle the stew into bowls and top with the Brussels sprouts. Enjoy!